Sunday 2 May 2010

Battersea Power Station

[pic: Yvan]


It is so beautiful, in a very strange way... I love this building. I love that it is empty and that it is abandonned. I love that they're using it as an urban space for the 'kids'.
But I realise that it is obviously going to be developed so I checked out the plans.
Perhaps not surprisingly; I don't like the plans very much...

In a typical city development kind of way it is going to be turned into a soulless estate in which all character and charisma is scraped off.
It is going to be surrounded by overprised restaurants and 'luxury flats' plus a high-street full of shops (Boots, TopShop and all that crap).
Basically it is going to be developed into a new Canary Wharf.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Canary Wharf, but I only do because it is like going to a different city on the subway. The place does not really reprecent typical London, does it?


They talk about a "new energy for London" and "enhancing the quality of life for all who visit, work or live in the area", when all it will do is to create another bubble for the rich.
Or maybe the people of Wandsworth will get a nice, fat discount on the new designer-built appartments?


Couple of pics from the new plans:


If you, like me, don't really want to see this happening, you can have your say here.

No comments: