Saturday 19 September 2009

South Africa

I lived for some time in South Africa, most of this time in Cape Town.
I must say, it's not my favourite part of the world, but it sure was interesting and I learned a lot.
Coming from a modern world, we take everything for granted; such as proper housing, timely travel, clean streets and education. When you go to a place like Africa you realise that this is not always the case, and it is so much different to see it in real life than to see the news clips on the telly.



Picture borrowed from Alexia Webster, a S.A'n photographer.

Cape Town is a mixed town - one minute you will see million dollar houses along the beautiful beaches; the next you will drive past a township like the one above.
I was extremely fascinated by the townships, but I never went in to one. My boyfriend at the time said it was too dangerous. I just think you gotta know what you're doing (and maybe being a local helps..).


One Faith47's blog you will get a better insight to this world.
This is made by a Cape Town local; one that's not afraid to hang around in the 'forbidden' areas.
I hope I will get the chance to explore this part of South Africa again one day.

1 comment:

Coco said...

I am desperate to see South Africa but just as terrified of the violence and crime. Such a dilemma!